Nietossukat / Nietos - Drift of Snow - socks pattern release

 

Drift of Snow socks

Well, it took me some time to get this pattern out. The test knitting was last spring and I wrote the pattern in Finnish, but the English pattern was not done. Actually, I was not satisfied with the photos. Now I have better ones and I am realeasing the pattern for socks and leg warmers today, on the first week of August.


I designed these socks for my self. I wanted warm socks that were timeless and would go with most of my outfits. I wanted socks that looked a bit like legwarmers when wearing with shoes. If you like that too, here you are!
I like socks like this. I wear them all the time at home. Maybe that is why I did feel like I didn't get good enough photos and kept fixing sentences on the written pattern - not releasing it. The test knitters liked the pattern and it was well receives, but somehow I was not completely satisfied. Now I am.
This pattern calls for worsted weight yarn (200m/100g) which makes these socks warm. The pattern is on the leg to keep the ankles warm, but the foot is single colour to fit your shoes or skates.

The colour choices are yours. Mine come from the nature around me.
Drift of Snow series is my first completely unisex pattern series with several sizes and some easy modifications to get many different looking and fitting socks, leg warmers and mittens to fit just about anybody. This required a lot of effort from my part, but I enjoyed it and I really wanted to get it out there. I did left the kids sizes out at this time, but I have plans for that. The teenage sizes are included in this sock pattern.

               
You can see my colour choices here.

This summer I took some photography hikes in Finnish Lapland and got the pictures I wanted. Now it is time to release this pattern in English as well. You can see the inspiration for the motif and colours in these photos very well.

   
Drift of Snow socks are mid-calf high woolly socks.

The lace pattern  gives the leg a lovely ruched effect for the leg of the sock and the leg warmers as well, but they work just as well without the lace pattern. You can find the leg warmers here and see the pictures: Nietos - Drift of Snow - socks
This lace pattern gives the leg a lovely ruched effect

You can make two kinds of socks with this pattern. The pattern includes colourwork and lace pattern, but you can leave the lace pattern out (clear instructions in the pattern). I made the black-white-grey socks for my self with the lace pattern and you can see in the pictures how the leg ruches beautifully thanks to the lace stitch pattern. The other socks (yellowish below) I made for my husband and left out the lace patters as he does not care for socks like that. The same pattern - different socks. Similar, but not the same.

                                         


           

The ground already had a touch of some autumn colours as the night we about 0 Celsius, but today it was beautiful hiking weather + 16 C and partly cloudy - just perfect. It is beginning of August now here now.

During this process I wondered several times, why is it the hardest part to take good pictures of the socks that actually are worn the most and fit well. Maybe it was the fact that the photos didn't portray the feeling I had wearing them? Maybe it was the colour I chose for my self? I like the black and white and grey colour combo. I wear it a lot, but it seem that for pictures the brighter colours are better.

My test knitters took wonderful pictures and chose great colours . Look at those colours! They are beautiful. They saw the potential in this pattern. I hope you can see it too.

  
This test knitter actually chose to make the leg according to the leg warmer pattern and made cozy legwarmer socks - great idea!
  
Here (above and below) are the socks knit according to the pattern with lace rows included, but the ones above have a wider leg than the ones below. Both are beautiful and both can be knit with the same pattern.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! test knitters - you really made this process worth while. You even gave me the idea to design mittens as well. And I did! You can find them here Drift of Snow mittens

Here is our lodgings near a lake on this journey.
Here is my photography companion and assistant and a keen hiker age 12. He was a great help! Thank you.
Thank you test knitters and hiking companions. 
I am happy to release this pattern. I hope it will be well received.
Sincerely, RiittaMarjo Designs

For any questions or feedback: 
thelittlefinnishknittingblog@gmail.com






Comments